Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Week 9 (Reading Diary): Cherokee Myths

Cherokee Myths

How the World Was Made - Well this was interesting....I have never heard of a creation story like this! The world was basically made my little insects, which makes sense because Native Americans were very in touch with nature. Then men and women came. The first man impregnated a woman by smacking her with a fish.....

The First Fire - I really liked this story. I initially thought that it was going to be similar to the Greek-Roman Myth story. However, it was very different. It explains how the Earth received fire for the first time and it describes why some animals have black on their bodies. It is very creative!

The Moon and Thunders - The first part of the story was really cute. I can definitely see myself writing a storytelling over it! The other parts were interesting as well, but my favorite is the first section.

Tobacco and Strawberries - I remember reading the second part about strawberries during the first week of school. I really liked it because it was so different and it is definitely one of the reasons why I chose this unit. I liked the tobacco story as well.

The Owl Gets Married - Sometimes, I can't tell if a Cherokee story is supposed to be funny or not. I found this story a bit humorous, but the ending is a bit morbid. Maybe that is just the humor of Native Americans?

Huhu Gets Married - This is similar to the previous story. I tried to imagine what a huhu is, but I couldn't find an image.

Snake Boy and Snake Man - Some of these stories are difficult to follow because they are so strange and because there are a few terms that I don't know about. This stories definitely caught my eye though.

No comments:

Post a Comment