Friday, October 31, 2014

Essay (Week 11): The Faerie Queen Unit Review





I really did enjoy the Faerie Queen unit about Britomart’s quest to find her love. I liked the play on gender and the Britomart’s character. She had both feminine and masculine attributes to her. My favorite story was in the first half of the reading where Britomart saves a Knight from being attacked by six other knights in honor of their queen. The queen, more commonly known as the Lady of Delight, is a narcissistic character and actually falls for Britomart’s looks and strength. Then she discovers that Britomart is actually a female. I found it all very funny and entertaining. As for least favorite stories, I cannot really think of one. I felt that the stories of this unit were pretty good all around. As for background information, I felt that the plots and writing was very straightforward. I liked how you offered the prose version over the poetry version. This made reading it much easier to understand and I could read through it faster without worrying whether or not I misunderstood the reading. However, I do wish there were some vocabulary links or notes with certain terms like squire. Although, it is very easy to look up a word on Google, I always think it is a nice touch when you link a word in the reading or offer more links if we are interested in a certain topic. The overview was a good description of the reading and got me interested in the reading. I knew that I wanted to read this unit from the beginning of the semester and it met my personal expectations. I thought it was a great story! I am somewhat familiar with Shakespearian plays, but I am not as familiar with Arthurian writing so I liked how this unit was a mixture of the two. It gave me great insight on the writing and culture from those days. I think it's a great unit and people should give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment