Friday, October 17, 2014

Week 9 (Essay): My First Memories of Reading

(Little Boy Reading Book)

My first memories of reading are from my elementary school days. I do not remember any times my parents read a story to me in my early years, but I remember reading a lot of books. My classmates and I were always trying to rack up as many AR points as we could so that we could trade them for candy or yo-yos or a $25 check! I think I almost had 300 points in my last year. I thank the Harry Potter series for that! I remember how proud I was of that because I was never really the best reader. I liked to take my time and enjoy each of the pictures while I was reading. Even now, I still do. I used to work at a library as a library aide for the last three years until I finally quit. When I shelved books in the Children’s section, I would always read through some of them and look through all the pictures. I love how the illustrators put so much work and detail into their pictures and how they gave a precise image of what was happening in each part. Just the imagination they put into their work really amazes me. 

Back in the day, I preferred fiction books. I still do now as well. I do not have a particular favorite genre. However, I found a new appreciation for nonfiction books. Who knew the real world could as interesting as an imaginary one? When I used to shelve in the nonfiction section, I would find myself browsing through all kinds of different books. I would look through cooking recipes, religion texts, and even sports books. I found a lot of new and interesting things to read

Unfortunately, I do not get to read as much as I did when I was younger because I can never find the time. I tried to read some books last semester, but I would only get through the first few chapters and then stop. Now, I am mostly reading textbooks, which is not always as interesting. Hopefully, when I am done with schooling, I can find more time to read at my leisure!

2 comments:

  1. Paula, I also got AR points in elementary school. This is a great way to get kids to read because everyone wants to get prizes! That is cool that you got to browse through many different books while at work. I would love to be able to read more books for enjoyment. It seems like in college all I am doing is reading but I don't look forward to reading like I did before college. I can not wait for the day that I can read any book I want and it will not be a text book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to you and Cobi, we also offered AR points at my elementary school. However, I did not like to read much as a young child. However, my love for reading has grown a lot since then. Like you I also enjoy reading fiction books. In addition, I definitely agree with you in the sense that college classes and recreational reading don't quite go together. Typically the last thing I want to do is read after having to tirelessly read textbooks all the time. I bet being a Library aid was e a very interesting job!

    ReplyDelete