Thursday, October 2, 2014

Week 7 (Storytelling): White Man vs Snake



One day, I was minding my own business when all of a sudden, a huge rock fell upon me.  I tugged and slithered, but I could not move because of this rock. Therefore, I patiently waited. I laid my head to the ground and felt footsteps coming. These footsteps were large and shook the ground with each stomp. All of a sudden, the ground stopped shaking. The rock was lifted from my body and I was free again. I looked at my savior. He was a large white man. He had very large round eyes, a large protruding nose, and his most noticeable features were his large ears sticking out of his head. He also had very pale skin. It was so pale that someone would wonder what he was doing in the middle of the Amazonian jungle.

Nonetheless, he was my savior. I slithered up to his foot to thank him, but then he kicked me to that very same rock he lifted from my body and said, “Stop! Do not bite me, you wretched being!”

I waited to regain my composure. Then I hissed at him, “You imbecile, you kicked back whilst I was going to thank you. Now I want to bite you.”

The white man with the large round ears said, “Stop, let us first speak to wise people.”

We came to a hyena. The white man asked the hyena, “Is it right that Snake should want to bite me, when I helped her as she lay under a stone and could not rise?"

The hyena responded, “If you were bitten, what would it matter?"

Delighted, the hyena and I laughed. Then I began to slither to him so that I could bite him.

The white man cried again, “Stop, let us first speak to wise people so that we may know if it is right.”

Then we found a jackal. The white man came up to the jackal and asked, "Is it right for Snake to want to bite me, when I lifted up the stone which lay upon her?"

The jackal replied, "I do not believe that Snake could be covered by a stone so she could not rise unless I saw it with my two eyes. Therefore, let us go to the place where the incident happened.”

We returned to the place where the rock trapped me and where the white man kicked me. The jackal told me to lie down so that the white man could cover me with the rock. I followed and the man covered me with the stone.

The jackal said, “Now, try to escaped.”

I tried to move, but to no avail. After that, the white man moved towards me to lift the rock again. However, the jackal told him,  “Stop, do not lift the stone unless you want her to bite you.”

I cannot believe I was tricked! The white man and jackal both laughed hysterically and left me under that stone. Ever since then, I have a great distaste for humans.

Author's Note - The original storyline comes from The White Man and the Snake in the South African Folktales Unit. The main difference from my story and the original is that my story is from the perspective of the snake. In the original story, it is written in 3rd person. Another difference between my story and the original is that the snake does not have a specific reason for wanting to bite the man. Therefore, I added gave her a reason. I did that because I wanted to add character and a bit of sympathy for he snake. Other than that, the plots between the original and mine are pretty much the same.

Book: South African Fairy Tales
Author: James Honey
Year Published: 1910
Web Source: Google Books

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was a fun and simple story. It was not too heavy or complicated and sometimes those make the best stories. I think you did a great job in switching it to the snake's point of view to capture some emotion from the snake. It allowed me, as the reader, to connect with the characters better than if it was written in third person. It was also very smart to have the human kick the snake in your version of the story. As you said, it gives the snake a reason to want to bite the human.

    A small editing tip: The sentence "He had very large round rounds, a large protruding nose..." I think there should be some other word besides rounds after the adjective round. I was confused but I think it was just a silly mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your story telling post for this week. I was curious as to why the man would help the snake in the first place?! It is also interesting that the snake did not immediately want to attack the man but I liked that you gave her a reason to dislike the man in your own story. Having the snake get tricked is a funny twist to the story!

    ReplyDelete