Saturday, October 4, 2014

Week 3 (Storytelling): The Beggar Businessman


I check my watch. It reads 9:15am. I am waiting at Starbucks for my grande caffe mocha. I told the workers precisely how I wanted it: no sugar, no whipped cream, extra dry, with half skim and half full milk, no two percent milk, and two shots of caramel syrup, but mix the syrup with the milk before adding it to the coffee. Can you believe these college students can’t get a simple order right? Don’t they know there are actually people with real jobs?

Finally, the barista boy calls out, “Grande caffe mocha for John!” I walk up to the counter for my drink. Then, as I was reaching for my drink, I could have sworn the barista boy say, “For riches are not for ever: and doth the crown endure to every generation?”

I give the barista a confused look. “What did you say to me, boy?”

“Enjoy your coffee, sir,” smiles the barista boy.

I eye him and give him one last look, then walk out. I don’t have time for this.

If you do not know me, whom you really should, my name is John Hagag. I am the president of Specci Inc. Ever heard of the term "multimillionaire"? I’m a multibillionaire. My company is worth six billion dollars. On top of being filthy rich, I was also born with handsome looks. I have been on the cover of hundreds of magazines from Gentlemen’s Quarterly to Time Magazine. I have won People magazine’s most handsome businessman for three years straight. You could call me the King of New York City.

So, I am about to walk into my office building, when a mischievous teenager suddenly rolls by on his skateboard and snatches my wallet right out of my back pocket.

I yell, “SECURITY! That PUNK has my wallet! SECURITY!”

However, they are too slow. Even my grandmother in a wheelchair moves faster than these oafs. I start chasing the kid. This punk has skills on his board. I can give him that. He swiftly dodges the massive crowds of people. After six blocks, he makes a right turn into a deserted alley.

“There you are, kid. Stop with the games and give me back my wallet. I’m reporting you to the police.”

“You are very wrong, sir. I am not a kid. I am a genie.”

Then the skater transforms into the barista boy from this morning. I am speechless. He changes again. This time, he changes to me. I am astonished. My eyes bulge out of their eye sockets. Finally, the security guards catch up to us. They push me, yes, me onto the ground and handcuff me.

“Get off of me! Don’t you know who I am! I am John Hagag! The John Hagag!”

I look down at my reflection in the muddy puddles on the ground. That’s not me, but it is me. I look completely different. My shiny black hair is now a dirty brown color. My nose looks like it was broken at one point, my face is dirty and sagging. There are deep wrinkles on my forehead and bags under my tired eyes.

“Let him go,” says the genie. “He is not a problem anymore. I have my wallet back.”


They take off the handcuffs and leave me on the ground. As they are walking away, the genie gives me a smirk and winks at me. How can this be? What happened to my life? I walk out on to the streets and try to convince passers by, “I am John Hagag! I am the president of Specci. I am People’s magazine most handsome businessman! Please, a genie stole my identity! You must believe me.” I continue this for a week and no one believes me.

Discouraged, I sit on the corner of Main and 2nd. A little nine-year-old girl stands in front of me and hands me spare change. My stomach cries in pain. When was the last time I ate? I accept it. I continue to sit on that corner and more pedestrians offer me their pennies and dimes. Someone hands me five dollars; tears of joy gush out of my eyes. Five dollars have never felt so valuable. After a month of begging on the streets, I look in the reflection of the shopping window. I look pathetic. My torn and ragged clothes hang on my frail body. My face has sunken more. My eyes look empty and lost.

I start to cry. In that instant, I decide that I can no longer beg. I need to make a change in my life. I go to a public library to start a resume. I buy some decent clothes from the Salvation Army and clean up myself as much as I can. I assume the name James Schultz. After that, I apply to many jobs. Most of them reject me. However, a Starbucks manager takes pity on me and she gives me a job. I start training immediately. Most of my coworkers are much younger than me. They gawk at me like I am a circus freak. The hours are long and customers are very demanding, though I cannot and will not give up because I do not want to go back to the streets. After weeks of hard work, my coworkers begin to accept me and I am promoted to manager after only six months. We laugh and make jokes with each other. Life is great.

One day, a familiar face walks in. It is me, the-John-Hagag me. The genie looks at me and he comes towards me.

“Hello…” he looks at my badge, “…James.”

“Hello,” I respond.

“How have you been? It has been a long time.”

“Times have been rough, but I am still happy and well. Thank you.”

“That is good. I see that you have learned your lesson. Are you ready to return to your old life?”

“No, I cannot. I cannot leave these people. They need me.”

“Do not worry. They will be fine.”

Right then, instead of standing behind the counter, I am in front of it. I look into a mirror hanging on the wall. I am back to my original self. I look over the counter. The barista gives me a wink and hands me a coffee.

“There you go, sir. Have a nice day.”

I look at him and give him a smile. “Thank you, you too.” I walk out of with the biggest smile on my face.


 (Businessman Drinking Coffee Outside Office Building 
by Smart Creatives; source: Visual Photos)

Author's Note - My story is based off of The Beggar King from the Jewish Fairy Tales unit. I chose this story because I really liked the original plot and the meaning behind the story. In the beginning, the main character is an arrogant and narcissistic king without a care for anyone other than himself. After meeting a powerful genie, the king is removed from his throne and he becomes a poor beggar living on the streets of the kingdom he once ruled. After begging in the streets for many months, the king decides to remake himself into a respectable person. He learns to serve others before serving himself. This life-changing event makes him more humble and appreciative of the people around him. Because of this, the genie allows him to return to his original body. Strangely, the king did not originally want to come back because he did not want to abandon the people that needed him. However, the genie convinces him and the king comes back with a completely new attitude and mindset. I did a modern take on this story while trying to stay true to the original characters. Instead of a king, I chose my main character to be a powerful businessman in New York. I kept the genie in the story because it added an interesting touch.

Book: Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends
Author: Gertrude Landa
Year Published: 1919
Web Source: Project Gutenberg


10 comments:

  1. Wow, what are great retelling of that story! You really did a great job. I was captivated the entire time while reading so kudos on that! I think my favorite part of this story was the lesson that came out of the whole thing and I was genuinely surprised when the skater kid turned out to be a genie! I did not see that coming. I think you did a fantastic Job on the Story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paula! Loved the storytelling idea for this week! I am a barista at a local coffee shop here in Norman, so it was fun to see your transformation of the Beggar King into the Beggar Businessman! I think that you did a wonderful job making this story very modern and easy to imagine actually happening in a Starbucks. Great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, I really enjoyed reading your storytelling post--this was a great choice to put into your portfolio.

    From the beginning, I was immediately drawn into the story. I always have so much respect for people who work in the food service industry; I'm sure they get customers like this businessman quite often. You did a great job making this tale modern and relatable. The progression of the story was also very well-written. It was clear from the start that this man is arrogant and impatient. However, when the John hears the barista whisper those words of advice, the reader knows that something is up and I was certainly intrigued at this point, waiting to see how the businessman would learn from his actions.

    His transformation is well detailed. You are talented at expressing the characters' feelings and attributing very human qualities to them and making them . When John begs people to listen to him, the reader can almost feel the desperation in his words. Using words like "discouraged" and saying that his stomach "cried in pain" really shows his downfall.

    I am glad that at the end, the businessman finally learns his lesson. Sometimes, it does take a long period of time of walking in others' shoes to truly understand what they go through daily. You did an amazing job of portraying John's fall from grace and subsequent comprehension of humility and acceptance.

    Great job with this storytelling post! I cannot wait to come back and read more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula!
    I really enjoyed your story. I also read this unit and wrote a story about it, but yours was much better. I actually liked your story better than the original. I loved that you modernized it and really made it your own. It was easy to read and kept me interested the whole time. I thought you did a great job with relaying the lesson of the original through your version. The rich, snobby business man loosing his money and learning to be a nice and good person was great! I thought you did a fantastic job! I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, your story was great!!! I love that you kept the original storyline and instead modernized the story details. The use of Starbucks and powerful businessmen made the story so relevant and relatable to our society today. The lesson and moral of the story is also extremely relevant, as well. So I love that you told this story, made it so creative and overall interesting to read! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The two biggest things that always capture my attention when I’m reading a story is prose and narrative voice. This story is definitely very strong in the latter (although it’s good in the former too, the language is simple and unobtrusive, good for flash fiction length works) and as a result my investment in your story was almost immediate. The first paragraph expertly sets up the protagonist’s personality through your apt filtering of events through his jaundiced perspective. From there you take your reader on a short but believable adventure in which this man is broken and eventually placed into the very position he once despised, then restored with a fresh take on his life. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. I loved the “can’t they get a simple order right” I know people who order really confusing things like that and then get upset when it is wrong. It drives me nuts. I didn’t know what this story would be about, but I really liked it. I was surprised when his reflection was not his own. I like that he learned a lesson about selfishness and arrogance. I really liked this story and I love when people place them in present day situations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Paula. I really loved your retelling of this story, I can see why you chose it for your portfolio!

    From the start of the story, you did a great job of making me really dislike the protagonist (haha). John Hagag's line of "Don’t they know there are actually people with real jobs?" was very infuriating, and the following “What did you say to me, boy?” only made my disdain for this character grow even more. You did a wonderful job of showing his arrogance and egotism through his tone and dialogue alone. I think this indirect characterization of the character is so much more stylistically pleasing than directly assigning characteristics to him, such as "He was arrogant," or "He had an big ego." This is really impressive writing!

    This vilification of John Hagag only made it all the more satisfying when the genie transforms himself into John Hagag and leaves the real John penniless in the street. It is even better, however, to see the transformed John Hagag work his way up through the ranks and come to the exact position he looked down on in the beginning of the story, before returning to his original life, albeit much more humble. I have not read the original tale, but I have no doubt that your retelling keeps the moral of the story very much the same!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paula,
    Good job with your retelling of the Beggar King. It was entertaining and a lot of the original theme shone through your modern background, making it uniquely your own. What made you decide to write the coffee shop incident to be a main instigator for the story? It almost makes me believe that you wrote this from a bad experience at a coffee shop. You did a good job changing the theme to fit your setting and made it an applicable theme. The moral of the story came off very clearly and it didn't have a cheesy feel that stories like this oftentimes have. Also, you did a good job illustrating the main character and adding more dimension to him by his comments as well as your descriptions. You made his fall from grace and his eventual redemption much more dynamic than the source material. My one tip for improving the writing would be to try to combine shorter, simple sentences into more complex sentences so you can avoid a choppy feel that comes with having too many consecutive simple sentences. I think there should be a section on that somewhere on Laura's main page. Anyway, I really enjoyed your story and great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this story before. I think I read your original storytelling post for this story. I really like that you expanded on your original storytelling post by adding more details because it adds a better background. The businessman is such a jerk and you really portray that well in your dialogue. I love hearing his story of transformation. I like the amount of pain you portray through his words and actions. I think it is funny and ironic that he ends up taking the exact job as the genie. I also like that he seems to have learned the order of things and learns that people need him by the end and refuses to go back to his previous life.

    ReplyDelete