Thursday, September 25, 2014

Week 6 (Essay): First Memories of Writing



I remembered when I started out to write, my parents had bought me a book to practice writing my letters. This was before I was in school so they taught me my first word, Paula. Yep, my first word that I could write was my name, which I think is pretty standard. I was so good at writing it that I wrote it on my closet door with a sharpie. My parents were not too happy about that. When I came into elementary school, I practiced my print writing a bit more. Then I moved onto cursive writing. I was never really great at cursive writing.
Last year, I was looking through a lot my old assignments and found some of the elementary projects. One of them was a storybook. I remember in 4th grade, my teacher made us write a storybook about animals and it had to include a moral. I think we were learning about Aesop’s Fables at that time. We had to come up with a rough draft, edit it, and do all the illustrations. It was a lot of fun. My story was about two horses in love. They were galloping through the woods and come across a wild and scary bear. They bear was three times the size of the male horse. However, he stood his ground and protected his love. The moral of the story was “It’s not the size of the person that matter, but the size of their heart.” I’m not sure why that was never published. It was a great read and the illustrations were top notch!
Anyway, I never had any computer writing assignments in elementary school so I’m not exactly sure how or when I learned to use the keyboard. Nowadays, everyone is using a keyboard. Even my little cousin who is a toddler understands the basics of a computer. It’s a bit weird how things are changing so much in such a small span of time. What if schools remove paper and pens completely? I am a little bit afraid about that future. Sure, computers and technology is cool, but there is something special about writing with a paper and pen that you just don't get with screens.

No comments:

Post a Comment