Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Week 6 (Reading Diary): Laos Unit

Laos Unit

Many of the stories in the first half have common themes throughout each such as unconditional love, emphasis on nature, and reincarnation. These stories stood out to me the most from this unit.

Child of the Woods This story reminded me a bit of The Jungle Book. Mainly because there is an adolescent that goes off into the jungle and lives with wild beasts for some time before returning to human civilization. I felt a bit of shivers from reading this for some odd reason.

Origin of Lightning This story was very unique. I am glad I read it. It had reincarnation within it, which I have found to be very common in many Asian stories. Another common thing I have been seeing is MULTIPLE WIVES!!! It was a common practice in the olden days, but nine wives?! Really? Anyway,  it was a really sweet story! I am feeling a little bit gushy after reading it.

Lovers' Leap This story was a bit sad. The general theme reminded me of Romeo and Juliet. This theme is seen in a lot of current stories.

The Faithful Husband and The Faithful Wife  I found it interesting how these stories are back to back. These stories reflect the values of Laotian people. It is an example of what they believe a faithful husband and wife should act.

One Woman I did not anticipate the ending at all.  I expected the usual theme of bad deeds being punished and those that wish to do to evil being outsmarted themselves like in The Wizard and the Beggar. It was interesting to read a story that was completely the opposite.

To Aid a Beast This story reminded me a little bit of The Lion and the Mouse. Though the ending was surprising to me, it has been a common theme that people are quick to condemn and kill for the wrong judgement.

The Boys Who Were Not Appreciated I really liked this story. This story contained two common themes of the meek receiving riches and those who are not appreciative and expecting of riches are punished or suffer. I found it strange that their parents died at the end because that is probably not what they would have wished but the parents are the moral of the story, not the boys.

The Fortunes of a Lazy Beggar I found this story very interesting due to the parallels it draws between a rich prince and a lazy beggar. Though the beggar is transformed, he wonders to himself that he has once again become the same lazy person on the inside, but now he is revered due to his riches.

The Blind Man This was my favorite story. The blind man is very endearing in the story and though he deceives his wife by pretending to be able to see, he does his best to earn her love. Naturally, he is rewarded for his spirit with the ability to see at the end of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment