Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 5: Portfolio Styles


This past weekend I have been looking over styles that I can use to change up my storytelling. Lately, I have been doing the same writing style because I cannot think of what else to do. However, after reviewing some more stories from this semester and more from past semesters, I have found a plethora of new styles that I can test out for the rest of the semester.
For the past few stories, I typically have been using this style of writing for my storytelling. I use it because I like comparing past, practically ancient, folktales with our modern and common experiences. This is my favorite one that I have written so far: The Man Who Thought He was a Fisherman. However, I think that I have mastered the modernization style by now. I feel that I am ready to step out of this comfort zone and try new styles!
One of the styles that I am interested in testing out is the letter style. I am surprised that I did not think of this! There are many movies and shows that have a letter style where the main character is writing to someone they love, lost, etc. Here is an example of the letter style: To Sumitra, With Love. I cannot believe that I did not think of this. After seeing this style, I realized which past stories I could have written in this style.
Another style of writing that I want to test out is inanimate objects as narrators. This style of writing really interested me because I never thought about trying this style. I liked this style after reading this storybook: The Towers That Be. I am sure the inanimate objects in the folktales that I have been reading have a lot to say about the main characters. It’s an interesting twist that I will definitely try!
A third style that I want to try is a social media style. I am not sure why I did not think of this before! Social media is so prevalent in our times now that it would be really funny to rewrite a folktale with social media. I am already thinking about all the social media that I can use like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, etc. I got this idea from Husbands of Draupadi.
Then I want to try writing a story with an OU setting. I remember reading another person’s storytelling that did this style. It was from Hannah (Inception: Persian Style)! I thought that it was very intriguing. It is similar to modernizing, but there is a relatable aspect because so many of us students are familiar with campus.  It is also easier to get a clear picture of what is going on in the story.
Finally, I want to do a television show style.  I am not a huge TV fanatic, but there are a few shows that I am obsessed with (Hell’s Kitchen, Avatar the Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Community, just to name a few….) so it would be entertaining to compare a folktale to a show. Also, I have an unlimited supply of shows to choose from so it shouldn’t be too difficult to try! This is where I got this idea: Fairy Tale Cribs.
These styles will definitely broaden my horizons and fuel my creativity bubble. I am excited to try out everything! Of course, I am not limited to only trying out these styles, but I think they are a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment