Saturday, November 29, 2014

Week 15: Reading Review Post

What did you like best about the readings for this class? Are there any general suggestions you would make about how the readings are set up?
 I liked how each of the readings had a middle point where we could stop. It was very useful during busy weeks of the semester. I also liked the notes that were added to a few of the stories. I found them very helpful in units that were difficult to understand. I also liked how in the Table of Contents, there was a "pairing" of certain units with similar themes! I actually utilized that a lot!

Did you find some new reading diary strategies that you used in the second half of the semester?
During the second half of the semester, I tried to take the time to read the whole unit in a day instead of reading splitting the halves in two days. This helped me organize my thoughts and compare/contrast the stories or story throughout a unit better.

What did you think of the overall balance between reading - writing - commenting in the class assignments? Do you think I should offer a reading assignment extra credit option?
There was a good balance between reading, writing, and commenting in the class. An extra credit option would be nice. I'm not sure how that would be conducted. 

As you look back from the end of the semester, what advice do you have for students who will be getting started next semester?
 This class takes some time, but if you plan things out and work ahead, it will make your semester much easier!


I had an enjoyable experience with the Un-Textbook. It is very different from what I am used to, but it allowed me to personalize and adjust my reading to fit my interests. I think the most useful priorities would be to add more notes to units and to create "anthology" units. The notes I found more useful were the ones that were linked to Wikipedia sites where we could find more information. There were a few in the Psyche and Cupid unit. As for "anthology" units, these would be pretty helpful especially for Storybooks! I know I had trouble coming up with a Storybook idea so I would have liked this when I was thinking of topics for my Storybook. Also, it allows students to compare and contrast themes of different cultures and time periods.

No comments:

Post a Comment