Friday, November 14, 2014

Week 13 (Essay): Grimm (Crane) Unit





This week I read the Grimm (Crane) unit. I actually really enjoyed this unit. It was quite interesting especially because of some of the unexpected endings. My favorite stories are King Thrushbeard and the Three Spinsters. I liked King Thrushbeard because I thought it was sweet how the King loved the princess so much, but he could see how arrogant and obnoxious she was. So, he disguised himself and went through all this work just to show her modesty. It was a bit heartwarming. As for the Three Spinsters, this story was very short, but I thought it was pretty funny! I originally thought it was going to be like Rumpelstiltskin, but it was not. In my opinion, it was better! My least favorite story was Snow White. This story was long and it felt like it dragged on a bit. All the stories were very straightforward so no background information or additional notes were needed. The overview gave a good description of the unit. It felt like the overall theme of this unit was about princesses except for the Fisherman and his Wife and the Robber Bridegroom. My overall goal for this class was to expose me to works of writing. This week, I did not choose something as obscure as I usually do. I choose something that I was a bit familiar with, but I had never really read. I found it as a fitting choice. I did not really learn anything from this unit nor did I have any expectations. However, something that surprised me was how gruesome the Robber Bridegroom story was! I remember have a few shivers and goose bumps while reading that story. Overall, I liked this unit! I recommend it to anyone that wants something easy to read. It has a good number of twists and turns that make it an interesting read!

No comments:

Post a Comment