Friday, November 7, 2014

Week 12 (Essay): King Arthur Review



This week I read the King Arthur unit. This unit is about the life and quests of King Arthur and his companions including Merlin the magician and his Queen Guinevere. Before reading this, I had a general idea of what the unit was about, but I had never actually read it. Nonetheless, I did enjoy reading this unit. My favorite stories are The Drawing of the Sword and The Passing of Merlin. The Drawing of the Sword is a very appropriate first story because it is the beginning of the unit and the beginning of Arthur’s life as king. As for The Passing of Merlin, even though this is a very sad story, I found it interesting how the great and powerful Merlin met his demise because of a maiden. It is strange how people can be blinded by beauty so easily. My least favorite stories were the Questing Beast and the Coming of the Holy Graal. I understand that this is where Merlin and Arthur meet, but I felt like this section could have been mentioned in a note. As for The Coming of the Holy Graal, I also do not think this story was necessary to add. I could not figure out how it added to the overall effect of the story. This could also had just been a note rather than a story. It was just so-so.

I found that each story had an appropriate amount of notes. I enjoyed how there were additional Wikipedia links where students could read more on certain stories. I certainly took advantage of that and it was very convenient!

I also found that the overview gave a good description of the unit. I did not have any certain expectations coming into this story because I originally was going to read Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. I do not think anything really surprised me while I was reading the unit either.

No comments:

Post a Comment